Florence Vose, one of our founding Charter members and her children Caroline (age 5) and Charles (age 2) (circa 1910)
The Bridgeport Post, Oct 1955, our elected officers at the Brooklawn Country Club
The Greens Farms Garden Club was founded in 1930. It was the idea of Mrs. Oliver H Jennings who felt there were enough like-minded women residing in Greens Farms and Southport to organize a club. And, indeed there were! In 1933, there were 49 members and annual fees were $5.00.
In 1941, the Club gave $1,158 to the British War Relief. During the war, the emphasis was on Victory Gardens and sending Christmas boxes to the servicemen. During the Korean war, letters and packages were also sent.
In 1943, the club supported Newington Hospital, in Newington CT. by furnishing a room.
Throughout this time, there were flower shows, house tours, skits and musical talents that were put to good use and raised funds for various civic associations.
In 1949, the club took an important step in conservation. GFGC joined forces with the Westport and Sasqua Garden Clubs, and the Westport Women's Club to form the Roadside Conservation Association to beautify Westport by planting trees. Over 3,000 trees have been planted. Emphasis on civic affairs continued during these years with the beautification of the Cerebral Palsy Center in Bridgeport and the sanctuary at Burr Farms School.
In the sixties, there were three Horticulture shows involving lectures and judging. In 1970's, the club began proposing projects focused on awareness and responsibility to the environment. Contributions were made to Earth Day, the Ecology Scholarship Fund and the American Land Trust to preserve open space.
In 1977, the club began work on the Atrium at the Nature Center and we continue to support the Atrium today.
Complied by notes from Helen MaCaulay and Lorraine Vilas in 1978